Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Big Clam Dig!

So today was the day for The Big Clam Dig. My New Mexico blood came out today as I had no clue what this whole clam digging thing was all about. Jason had done this throughout his childhood, so he was ready to go! Apparently, you have to have a license ($6) and can only dig at certain times, during a 1 week period, and only on certain beaches.

That meant that today was the day. Period. So 6 am came up and we roused ourselves out of bed and headed out to Grayland, WA to dig on the beach. There were way more crazy people out there than I anticipated and it kept going through my mind.... IT'S MARCH! AND COLD! But I get ahead of myself.

Daddy - Why must I get up so early?!
Photobucket

Daddy: The Crazy Clam Digger!
Photobucket

Did I mention it was cold?!
Photobucket

Maggie & I got to explore the beach a bit.
Photobucket

Jason's first attempt at finding clams was unsuccessful. He was going to throw in the towel, but we decided to try a second location.
Photobucket

So our second location was a success... sort of.
One clam was claimed on our big dig!!
Photobucket

The fruit of our labors (and $45 in gas, $30 for lunch, a 3-hour drive)
Photobucket

All in all... it was a fun day!! Although I think the New Mexico girl in me will never truly learn the draw of the ocean, I had fun during the Big Clam Dig today!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUSAN iT IS 11:47 AND i HAVE FOUND THE "CLAMDIG". i, TOO, WOULD THINK IT AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY aND EVEN MORE SO HAD i FOUND THE THING AND HAD TO EAT IT. gUESS i LOCKED IN THE CAPTS and have finally unlocked them.

I remember once on Padre Island trying to get one and learning that the clam could dig faster than I could so I gave up

I'M SO GLAD I FOUND YOUR SPACE. GAMMY

March 12, 2008 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home