Saturday, April 26, 2008

The third back up shooter...or something like that.

I am Jason, the husband who also works on some of the behind the scene stuff and take the occasional photo as needed. I wanted to take a few moments and thank you for coming by and reading and getting to know Susan and her work.
In the past couple of years, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Susan and the family endeavor grow. Make no mistake about she is very much in command, but its been neat that so many in the family take part in projects in some unique fashion or another. Particular ovation goes to her brother Steve, for his unbelievable work and advise on computer image work and lighting advice. I also wanted to thank Susan’s mom for her help including watching the “mabz”.
As part of a team effort, it should be expected that other members of the team will check in and say hello on the blog. But just briefly, I wanted to let you know a little about my history and give you a little of my photography background. The reason for this is that we hear frequently from the “old school” photographers that say that we don’t know how to use a darkroom, that we don’t know how to use film, and that we lack any of that old technique. Whatever…And if “Mabz” didn’t read this and write occasionally, I had another term for it.
I have spent years doing forensic photography in death investigation, fire investigation photography, and photojournalism with the likes of Wes Pope as a teacher (Chicago Tribune). I’ve spent days/nights in darkrooms fussing with film, chemistry, light, argh! And I appreciate it what is, what it offers, and we really know its limitations and capabilities. I am excited to say that we can bring all sorts of technology to a shoot from medium format film to high end, high speed digital imaging that undoubtedly we will continue to invest in and know how to use the finest digital imaging technology available…Its one thing to own the equipment, its entirely another to be able to use it.
The point in this is simply, if you want to do photo work that pushes the envelope and just doesn’t appear on anyone’s mantle then this is us! I cannot give you any photo groups that can merge so many potential disciplines behind a shoot besides Whimsical. The people behind Susan are either qualified, experienced, or certified, in fire fighting, arson photography, crime scene and forensic documentation, aerial/satellite photography (GIS), non-visible light and infrared imaging, metallurgical and stress failure photography, modern reprographics and newspaper layout, and a whole lot more! So if you have a tough shoot, with bad lighting, unique circumstances, or other challenges that just don’t meet the capabilities of a “phonebook photographer”, then there’s a good chance we been there, done that, or can come up with the angle the works.
I hope to see you someday in the field as I am the third back up photographer, or whatever Susan assigns me for the day. Here’s one of my photos from Beluga Point, Alaska, with the Alaska Railroad. Jason

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home