Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Senior Citizen Project

About six months go I read an article in a photography magazine about a photographer (and I wish I could remember his name/location... I think I'll have to go back to see if I can find the original article) who started shooting senior citizens in their retirement homes as therapy in dealing with his own parent's passing. The article really hit a cord with me and I found the entire project to be both inspiring and a beautiful tribute.

Enter my own Gammy. Gammy is my 97-year old paternal grandmother with whom I have shared a very special and close relationship. When reading the article mentioned above, I was inspired to give back and start my own senior citizen project for no other reason than to give back. So my Gammy decided to be my first model... isn't she just beautiful?

This one is my absolute favorite:








As a side note... The Mabster was running around in the background wrecking havoc around Gammy's apartment while we were doing this shoot. She went into the kitchen (which I shoo-d her out within 2 seconds), but managed to turn on Gammy's oven and setting a minor fire. Luckily, the fire alarm went off (after Maggie and I left) and the problem was quickly extinguished. However, Gammy will be the lucky recipient of a new oven now...

My mother finds the entire story somewhat amusing and now calls Maggie - The Little Arsonist. Especially ironic when you consider that Jason is a firefighter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home